Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Stir-fried Black Pepper Udon

Day 108

Mr Tan is away for his company's retreat so I am home alone tonight. Prior to the retreat, staff were told to dress up according to their childhood ambition and Mr Tan just called to say that a guy actually dressed up as a woman in short skirt and tube top! He thought he went into the wrong toilet when he saw the "woman" in the toilet and then the "woman" said, "Come in, come in. You are in the right place." LOL. Not only that, there was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle too. Guess what Mr Tan dressed up as? Liverpool Player! I bought the Liverpool Home Kit for him as his belated birthday present. =P


I decided to cook Stir-fry Black Pepper Udon for dinner. I love the thick and chewy udon and used to cook soup udon during my secondary school days. This is the first time that I am stir-frying udon and I am very happy that it turned out really well. The udon has started expanding in my stomach and I am feeling so so full now.

Ingredients
- 1 packet of udon
(this is too much for me, I should have just used half)
- 5 medium-sized prawns
(marinate with salt, pepper and soy sauce and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour)
- 50g of minced pork
(marinated with a bit of everything in my kitchen)
- Fish Cake
- Cabbage
- Carrot
- 1 Large Shitake Mushroom (sliced)
- 4 Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Egg

Sauce
4 tablespoons of Lee Kum Kee Black Pepper Sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon of Shaoxing Wine
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of white pepper
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cube chicken stock
100ml of water

I have tried to cook previously with the Lee Kum Kee Black Pepper Sauce but it tasted a little bland and lacked the peppery taste that I prefer. I searched the net for black pepper sauce and did a mix-and-match and came up with this. I thought it tasted quite good but that could be due to my hunger. I love to cook noodles at home because you can add as many ingredients as you wish and in any amount too. The next time I cook it, I would add more cabbage, carrots, minced pork and also corn starch when I am marinating my prawns. I love my food with lots of veg!


No comments:

Post a Comment