Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Birthday Lunch @ Hutong Dumplings Bar

Day 106


After Camy and Dumplings Plus, Mr Tan took me to Hutong Dumplings Bar for lunch today. Hutong is one of the most expensive dumplings place and many have raved about their 小笼包. I miss 鼎泰丰. I miss their 小笼包 and 虾仁蛋饭.

It was full when we got there and we only managed to get a seat after 10 minutes. We ordered 小笼包, 红油抄手,四川担担面 and Cantonese Style Prawn Dumplings. Service seems to be always bad in Chinese restaurant and Hutong's service was at best average. The waiters had no smile on their faces and we had to refill our own tea. The only thing they did was to clear the empty plates.


Food was served quickly and the first to arrive was my fave 小笼包 ($9.80). 8 pieces of 小笼包 that are larger than the ones from 鼎泰丰 and they are filled with lots of soup. A pity they only gave us a few pathetic slices of ginger. It was the first time that we ate 小笼包 since we arrived here and I certainly enjoy the soupy 小笼包. I will return again for them.


Next came the humongous 四川担担面 ($7.50). The serving was so huge that it can be shared between 3 or 4 people. It is soupy and the spice was not overwhelming. However the noodles were a letdown. They were not QQ and lack a chew to them. I am not sure if this is how 担担面 should taste like but the 担担面 at Camy's won this taste test.


红油抄手 ($8) was next and it tasted different from the ones we had at Dumplings Plus. The skin used was wanton skin and there was a tinge of sweetness in the chilli oil. I found the skin a little too much but it was still delicious and we managed to finish 7 out of the 8 pieces.


Last to arrive was Cantonese Style Prawn Dumplings ($7). They are the most expensive items on the table and I did not like them as I could not taste the prawns. I was hoping for some real prawns but Hutong had the prawns mashed together with the pork. The table behind us ordered the same dish and the lady actually asked the waiter if there was any prawn in the dumpling.

It was a satisfying meal and I would return again for the 小笼包!

HuTong Dumpling Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment