Monday, November 29, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Saucepan Egg Tofu (平底锅豆腐)

Day 119


It has been a while since I had egg tofu. Mr Tan suggested making 铁板豆腐, of course, he only talks while I try to make it happen. But we have no hotplate so we decided to make do with our saucepan. It is a troublesome dish to prepare and needless to say, there are many improvements I need to make if I decide to make this dish again.

1. The saucepan must be very very hot in order for the egg to sizzle.
2. The tofu shouldn't be cut too thin. Cut each tube into 6 pieces instead of 8.
3. Don't use too much minced pork and sauce. Tofu is the main dish!

Ingredients
2 tubes of Japanese Tofu
50g of minced pork
2 eggs
3 pieces of Chinese mushrooms (sliced thinly)
3 button mushrooms (chopped)
50ml of water
2 tablespoons of corn starch (mix with some water)

Marinade for minced pork
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
Pepper
Sesame oil
Shaoxing wine
2tablespoons of water

Seasoning
1/2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon of sugar

1. Fry the egg tofu until golden brown (be careful when frying as the tofu splatters ALOT)
2. Remove excess oil from wok. Leave 2 teaspoons in wok.
3. Add Chinese mushrooms and button mushrooms to wok and stir-fry for about 1 minute
4. Add in minced pork and continue to sitr-fry
5. When pork is cooked, add in seasoning, followed by 50ml of water and let it boil
6. Stir in the corn starch to thicken the gravy
7. Remove gravy from wok and prepare the saucepan
8. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in saucepan till hot (must be very very hot)
9. Pour in the egg into the saucepan and add tofu and gravy. Continue to heat the saucepan for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and serve!


As the days go by, I realise I am becoming more adventurous in the kitchen. I do hope that at the end of 2 years, I will be able to master (master here means I don't have to look at any recipes) 100 dishes. This shall be my aim. Being someone who gets bored easily, I don't like to cook the same stuff every week. I have been searching the net for recipes to try and with each little success, I become more confident and more willing to try. I guess it is the same for everything in life. If you don't try, you will never know how far you can go, how high you can reach. The fear of failure often stops one from trying. Only when one starts to recognise that failure brings one closer to success will one start to try. I am glad I am starting to try. :)

2 comments:

  1. True... try and dont be afraid of failures... easy to say but difficult to do... I am still cooking with my recipes and I not getting lazy at cooking more stuff, cos I'm only cooking for myself to eat... nevertheless, I will still try to cook interesting stuff whenever I'm free.. It's quite enjoyable...hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking is the only thing I am doing now and at least it keeps my brain slightly more active. Hopefully will be able to get a job in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete