Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Oven Grilled Chicken Wings

Day 114

My Oven Experiment
I have never used an oven before I came here and today, I tried to use it to grill some chicken wings. I found this recipe from the net and the chicken wings look so so yummy, not to mention that they look crispy too. I followed the recipe but my wings were not crispy at all! :( Mr Tan said that it is probably impossible to make crispy wings using an oven. Many recipes mentioned using a broiler to make the skin crispy but I don't have this function on my oven. I didn't even know which function I should use to bake the chicken wings. Everyone simply says bake it, but how do I bake it??? I am such an oven idiot. So the best thing to do is to experiment and see what happens.

I set my oven to 200C on grill and then put in the wings for about 30 minutes but the skin was not crispy at all and they didn't look brown. So I increased the temp to 225C and changed to the setting to fan grilled. Well, I have absolutely no idea what is the difference between the 2 settings. The result? The wings started to turn brown! But....I got distracted by the show The Mentalist and some of the chicken wings were burnt! :(

Ingredients
6 chicken wings

Marinade
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper

1) Marinate the chicken wings for as long as you can. (At least 3 hours)
2) Lay tin toil on the baking tray
3) Drizzle some olive oil on the tin foil
4) Preheat oven to 200C on grill
5) Place chicken on the tray and bake in the oven for 20 mins. Turn the chicken after 20 mins and continue to bake for another 15 mins
6) During the last 7 mins, increase the temperature to 225C and switch the setting to fan grill
*IMPT TO CHECK ON THE CHICKEN WINGS DURING THE LAST 7 MINS AND TURN THEM WHEN THEY ARE BROWN (mine became burnt as I was distracted by Simon Baker :P)


Luckily, the chicken wings fared pretty well in the taste test. I actually enjoyed eating them, except for the burnt parts of course. It was sweet and spicy and it was a refreshing change. I might have cooked them for too long and there wasn't any juice left in the chicken. I will be trying them again, hopefully I will fare better on my 2nd attempt! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment