Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Ba Chor Mee (Minced Pork Noodles)

Day 120


Time flies. It has been 120 days since we came here and we are beginning to get used to life here. So long as one don't expect efficiency, don't expect good service, don't expect anything that will WOW you, life here is pretty good.

I have not been able to find a job yet, so I am keeping myself active in the kitchen. (Mr Tan is happy that I am not working so that I have time to cook for him everyday) I had a sudden craving for Ba Chor Mee (Minced Pork Noodles) and decided to try cooking it. Luckily, it didn't taste too bad. I love my Ba Chor Mee with lots of vinegar. It certainly satisfied my craving for it. I can't wait to go back in Dec to FEAST!

Ingredients
Egg Noodles (couldn't find any Mee Pok and You Mee here)
Bean Sprouts
50-100g of minced pork (marinade with soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper and water)
4 Chinese mushrooms (soaked and sliced thinly)
Cuttlefish balls (forgot to buy fishballs and meatballs so added cuttlefish balls instead)
Fish cake (sliced thinly)
Ginger (sliced thinly)
Oil
Water
Dark Soy Sauce
Light Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Sugar
Vinegar
Sambal Chilli

Directions
Minced Pork
1. Add 1 teaspoon of oil into a pot and stir-fry the minced pork
2. Dish it out when cooked. Do not wash pot, use the same pot to stew the mushrooms

Stewed Mushrooms
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pot, add ginger and fry till fragnant
4. Add mushrooms to stir-fry
5. Add 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce, 100ml of water, 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the mushrooms and let it cook on low heat for at least 30 mins. Add in more water as needed (very impt to cook for at least 30 mins so that the mushrooms will be bursting with flavour!)

Cuttlefish Balls and Fish Cake
6. Heat up a pot of water to cook the cuttlefish balls and fish cake
7. Dish out with cooked

Bean Sprouts and Noodles
8. Add 1 tablespoon of Sambal Chilli, 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 2 tablespons of vinegar on a plate
9. Cook noodles and bean sprouts and dish out on plate when cooked
10. Add the rest of the ingredients and some gravy from the mushroom stew and serve!

I doubt I will cook as much when I go home 2 years later. Eating out is expensive here. A bowl of noodles cost $8-9 but back home, a bowl of noodles only cost $3. It is probably cheaper to eat out than cook at home, plus there is no need to clean up after the meal. 吃饱了,拍拍屁股就走,省事又省时!

No comments:

Post a Comment