Friday, November 26, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Salt and Pepper Fish Fillet

Day 116


I am not a fan of fish and every time I go to the market, I buy 'familiar' fish such as snapper, mackerel, salmon and pomfret. I have never heard of elephant fish, tiger flathead or barramundi. Of course, it could be due to the fact that I never need to do marketing back home and I simply eat whatever Mama puts on the dining table.

Last week, I finally bought some 'unheard of' fish fillet. I bought a piece of basa fish fillet. The cheapest one so that in case I destroy the fish during my cooking experiment, I won't feel the pain. I am very happy to say that it was delicious! It might not be restaurant fare but at least I managed to get the batter right.

Ingredients
1 piece of Basa Fish Fillet
1 garlic (minced)
1 bird's eye chilli
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt (adjust to your own liking)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper (adjust to your own liking)
A dash of Shaoxing wine

Marinate for fish
1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 egg white
3 tablespoons of corn flour

1. Cut the fish into bite size pieces
2. Mix the marinate together until the batter is smooth. Add in the fish and make sure the fish is coated evenly. Set it aside for 30 mins
3. Pan fry the fish until it is golden brown. Remove from wok (I did not drain in on paper towel for fear that it might turn soggy)
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil and fry the garlic and chilli until fragnant. Add in salt, pepper and sugar
5. Add in the fried dish and a dash of Shaoxing wine and toss them well


The batter was easy to make and the best part is, it is light and crispy, yes crispy! *Yippie* Mr Tan thought I had used a premix for the batter and seasoning. He said, "Hmmm, not bad ah, improving." :)

2 comments:

  1. I think i can try this... hee... havent got the energy to update my blog for a while... not good...

    ReplyDelete