Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another First - Snip, Snip, Snip!

Day 82

Another first for us!

Mr Tan went to a cheap hair salon for a $10 haircut. It cost $15 for ladies and I was very tempted by the price to get my hair trimmed there. I went in with Mr Tan as I wanted to observe the hairdressers before taking the plunge. First thing I notice, only men get their hair cut there. As we waited for his turn, there were another 5 men who entered the salon. No women at all. Then, I observed how they cut the hair. Rough, impatient and no sense of pride. No way am I going to sit in that chair. Luckily Mr Tan's hair turned out fine. I am trying hard to get him to change his hair parting. Haha. He said he is too lazy to style his hair but I think he looks nicer if he change his parting. Right?

After shopping, I was really tempted to cut my hair. It is getting long and boring. I was struggling. Since we are going home in Dec, should I wait 2 more months and get my hair cut by my trusted hairdresser? Or should I try out the hairdresser here? In the end, I succumbed to temptation. I msged Jiaqi and asked her for a recommendation. She recommended Sui Hair Salon, in Chinatown. I went there and saw that it cost $50 for a haircut! OMG! Expensive! I wanted to walk away then Mr Tan said, "Isn't this the same price you pay for a haircut back home? Just cut la." We went in and we had to wait. I was still struggling. Should I? Should I not? I can still leave. In the end, we stayed and I got my hair cut by a Korean hairdresser called Khai. He was nice. Gentle and gave advice with his limited English. I wanted to cut a thick fringe but he said I was more suited for a thinner one. He is the first hairdresser I met who didn't want to trim too much of my hair. He said he prefer me with long or short hair, not medium length. So either I let him cut it short, or otherwise he will just trim the length. He also proposed more layers and I agreed. So snip, snip, snip. It was fast. I was done in half an hour.

My hair looks pretty much the same except for my fringe. I don't think it was $50 well spent but it was an experience. I came home and googled. There are other Jap and Korean hairdressers and they are cheaper! Argh. Stupid me. Should have done my homework before taking the plunge. Lesson learnt.


3 comments:

  1. I need a hair cut too... esp my fringe... but this time round i think it needs to be rebonded... I donno how much is their partial rebonding. cutting alone is expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But rebonding came from Japan, maybe it won't be so expensive? How much is the haircut there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. around your price in my countryside 40-50 ba...oita city i donno...

    ReplyDelete