Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Red Bean + Black Glutinous Rice + Sago Dessert

Day 169

A few weeks ago, we bought a slow cooker but it hasn't been put to good use. I tried to use it to cook Bak Kut Teh but the end result was disappointing. Somehow the aroma and flavour didnt turn out as well as me using the stove. Perhaps it is more suitable for other soups. Since then, the slow cooker has been sitting in the corner until yesterday.

I fell in love with this dessert after having it Chatterbox. I have tried to cook this dessert using the stove previously and it was disastrous. I used the smallest fire but the glutinous rice still got burnt and I had to spend half an hour scrubbing the pot. I surfed the net to see how others cook this dessert and it seems like quite a number uses the slow cooker. Just throw everything in and let it cook! Sounds simple enough for me.

Ingredients
Red Bean - 1 cup
Black Glutinous Rice - 3/4 cup
Sago - 1/2 cup
Coconut Palm Sugar - 3/4 block
Water - 2 litres

1. Wash the black glutinous rice till the water turns clear
2. Fry the black glutinous rice in a saucepan (I didn't do this, too lazy)
3. Fill the slow cooker with water, add in the red bean, black glutinous rice and palm sugar. Turn it to "high" and let it cook for about 3 hours. Stir occasionally
4. Once the black glutinous rice turns soft, turn the slow cooker to "low" and add in the sago
5. Cook sago till it turns transparent. Do not overcook the sago, otherwise they will melt and disappear!

The MUST-HAVE sugar
 

Ta-dah! 
Yummmmmmmmmmy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks good leh!!! but I no slow cooker... I shall stick to baking.. Have been lazy to cook, eating a lot of instant noodles.. or just drinking soup... will be trying to bake a cake on Fri for a fren's bdae...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow cooker can cook porridge and peanut soup...and more desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cooking it again tml! Yeah!

    Walked so much today...I miss my car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. walking is good exercise for you!!! hee...

    ReplyDelete