Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Soy Sauce Prawns

Day 134


This will be the last week in 2010 that I will be cooking and I can't tell you how happy I am. Next Monday I will be feasting in Singapore! Char Kway Teow, BBQ Chicken Wings, Chilli Crabs, Laksa, Kway Chap, Durians, Xiao Long Bao, here I come!

Came across this super easy recipe on the net and it brought back memories of my childhood. My godfather used to cook this for me when I was young. Nowadays, he always cook chilli crabs for me and Papa Goh said that my godfather is very excited that I am going back and has ordered many crabs for me! I think I know where to head for dinner after I touched down. Hehe.

Ingredients
- 300g of Prawns (about 11 or 12 pieces)
- 1 Garlic (minced)
- Some Ginger (sliced thinly)
- Some spring onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of Dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespooon of Sugar
- Salt
- Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Corn flour
- 1 teaspoon of Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon of Oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of water

1) Trim off the sharp parts of the prawns and devein them. Pat them dry using paper towels
2) Marinate them with salt, pepper, shaoxing wine, oyster and corn flour
3) Heat oil and saute ginger. Only add garlic when ginger starts to brown as ginger takes longer time to brown
4) Add prawns and cook till they turn pink
5) Add in dark soy sauce, sugar and spring onions
6) Add in 2 tablespoons of water and stir well and cook till prawns are done and the sauce thickens slightly
(I added in water as I prefer to have some sauce to dip the prawns in after peeling off the shell!)


I love this dish so much but I can't say the same for Mr Tan. He prefers to have his prawns steamed so that he can taste the sweetness and freshness of the prawns. He said that I have a smoker's taste buds and always prefer my food to be 重口味. No, I don't smoke but it is true that I don't really like steamed food. Luckily I'm the one cooking.

Woohoo~~~~~ 5 more days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment