Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gin's Kitchen - Chicken Biryani

Day 127

Biryani rice is Mr Tan's favourite. It shares the top spot with chicken rice on his list. We love the Fish Head Curry from Muthu's Curry with his fave biryani rice. Another to-eat when I go back!

There are Indian restaurants here but we have yet to check them out. Either they are super expensive and will cost an arm and a leg to eat there or they look dodgy and unappetising. We saw this Premix at Woolworths and the instructions seem easy enough to follow so we bought it! (Premixes are my saviours. Perhaps I can start writing reviews on all the premixes I have tried. Haha.)


2 drumsticks for Mr Tan - Checked
2 wings for Moi - Checked
Pappadam - Checked
Rice - Checked
Curry - Don't have!! Damn!
Biryani is never complete without curry. I don't have any curry premix at home and Mr Tan went to Woolworths to grab a can of Ayam Ready Curry Sauce. Now we are all ready to cook it.


I used the spice powder to stir-fry the chicken pieces and when the chicken is cooked, I added in the sauce and poured in the washed rice. It is looking and smelling good. :) The instruction said not to stir the rice but I forgot about it and started to stir the rice and the chicken happily. I used the lowest heat to simmer the chicken and rice but the rice at the bottom of the pot was totally burnt! I have no idea why that happened. Was it my pot? Was the heat too high? Was it because I stirred it? Damn. I had to cook more rice using the rice cooker and added it into the pot to mix with the sauce.

The sauce did not dry up as expected and though the rice was wet with the sauce, it tasted pretty good. We bought the instant pappadam and popped them into the microwave for a minute and they were crispy and yummy! Oil-free, less guilt. Haha. I love to dip my pappadam in curry and this Ayam curry sauce is the worst I have ever had! It was so salty and there was no curry taste at all. Yucks!

I guess the meal satisfied Mr Tan as he offered to help scrub the burnt rice and clean the pot. Haha. And he did a terrific job, the pot was clean and shiny.


4 comments:

  1. let me try when ur back in sin!
    i lurrrve briyani too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome, you want me to buy the premix and bring it back to sg??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. at leasts there are premix briyani there... i don have lor... but i think spore no need cook briyani lah, go buy, faster and tastier...hee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. exactly! just go kopitiam to eat! i want to eat fish head curry..counting down...11 more days..haha..

    ReplyDelete