Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Teriyaki Chicken (Homemade sauce)

Day 338


Goodbye Teriyaki Premix, Hello Mirin and Sake. I'm happy to say I've ditched another premix in my kitchen! :) Now that I know how to make my own teriyaki sauce, I won't be ordering any more teriyaki dishes at Jap restaurants. It's really easy to make teriyaki sauce so long as there's mirin, sake, soy sauce and sugar.

Ingredients
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoons of oil for frying 

Teriyaki Marinate/Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sake
- 4 tablespoons of mirin

- 4 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger juice (I don't have grated ginger juice and replaced it with slices of ginger)


Directions 
1. Rinse chicken thighs and cut away the fats before wiping them dry with kitchen towel
2. Place chicken thighs in a small freezer bag and add sake, mirin, sugar, light soy sauce and ginger slices into the bag
3. Marinate the chicken in the mixture for 30 minutes
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat in a pan
5. Remove chicken thighs from the bag and reserve the marinate
6. Fry the chicken over medium heat until both sides are browned and chicken is cooked
7. Once chicken is cooked, remove it from pan and set aside
8. Wipe the pan with kitchen towels to remaining oil
9. Pour remaining marinate into pan and bring it to a boil
10. Simmer the sauce over low heat and once the sauce thickens, add cooked chicken thighs into the pan and and coat it evenly with the sauce
11. Remove chicken from pan, drizzle sauce over it and yummy teriyaki chicken is ready! :)


I removed the chicken and wiped away the oil before adding the marinate as I didn't want my sauce to be oily. The last few times when I added the sauce to the chicken, I ended up with oily sauce and overcooked chicken thighs. It's troublesome but I would still do it for less oily food!

No comments:

Post a Comment