Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Mapo Tofu

Day 346


I have so many bottles of sauces (chilli sauce, chicken rice mix, sambal belacan, etc etc) in my fridge that I "devote" one whole shelf to them. I just don't wish to buy any more sauces. Premixes seldom or rather never taste as good as homemade sauces and I've stopped buying premixes except for curry premix, something that's BEYOND BEYOND me. I've been learning to make my own sauces and so far, I'm happy with my progress. Not the best but passable. This time round, I decided to buy a premix as I doubt I'll be using the fermented bean paste, which is the main ingredient in the sauce often.

Ingredients
- Lee Kum Kee Mapo Tofu Premix
- 1 block of Tofu (classic regular) (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 100g of minced pork
- 8 button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 clove garlic (minced)
- 50ml of water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli flakes (optional)
- some chopped scallions (optional)

Marinate for pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch

Directions
1. Marinate pork with seasoning for 30 minutes
2. Saute garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil
3. Add minced pork to wok and stir fry till cooked
4. Add button mushrooms and Lee Kum Kee Mapo Tofu Premix and stir well
Optional: I found the premix too salty and thus added water, red chilli flakes and sugar to the sauce
5. Add tofu and stir very gently to avoid breaking up the tofu. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes
6. Add some chopped scallions (reserve some for garnish) and stir gently to mix well
7. Dish up and garnish with chopped scallions


The red chilli flakes was a great addition. It upped the spice level of the dish and we love it! 超开胃,让我吃了又吃!

No comments:

Post a Comment