Saturday, July 9, 2011

Eat Out - Bigmama's (Korean)

Day 341

After our lunch at Nasi Lemak House, we went QV and bought some food for next week. I only need to cook for 4 more days and I'll be flying. No more cooking, no more housework! Holiday Time! Of course, we can't go home empty-handed so after QV, we went Chinatown for some shopping. Within 15 minutes, we've spent $200 on presents and that's only half the items on the shopping list. Oh, I bought a pair of UGG boots today too. Finally! After looking around for the last few weeks, I finally decided to buy it. It's probably one of the few things that are made in Australia, or so I hope. Every thing is now MIC. 


Dinner tonight was at Bigmama's. Yes, another place that requires some travelling but this time, there were lesser complaints from Mr Complain Tan. It was full when we got there around 730 and since we didn't make any reservations, we had to wait. Not the best scenario when I'm with Mr Complain Tan. We waited for about 15 minutes before we got a table. Bigmama's has both Japanese and Korean items on its menu but after tonight's menu, I think it's a Korean eatery although many have raved about its agedashi tofu and almost every table ordered it. We didn't as Mr Tan is not a huge fan of tofu.

Tonight's Menu
- Kimchi and Tofu in Spicy Soup with Pork
- Chilli Chicken Karaage
- Salmon Sashimi
- Tempura


Bigmama's certainly take pride in presenting their food. The presentation was simply terrific. One of the better ones I've seen in Melbourne. I love one of the side dishes to bits. Calamari tempura! It was SO yummy that I wanted a second serving but sadly, it was never brought to our table. I waited and waited but it never came. We were one of the few diners left and the staff probably forgot about it. :(


The Salmon Sashimi was the first to arrive and this was rather disappointing. We both thought we saw salmon sashimi on green salad on the menu but it came with rice. The salmon wasn't too fresh and there were so few pieces of it. There was so much rice but so little fish. 


Next, the tempura came and this was another disappointment. Where's the tempura batter? It's breaded prawns, not tempura prawns. It was a huge serving for $10 but it was more vegetables than anything else. I would prefer less vegetable and perhaps 1 or 2 more prawn. 1 of the vegetables was actually string beans and I didn't like it at all.


My kimchi and tofu soup came next and it was piping hot. This was probably one of the better dishes of the night. The pork was tender and yum and I just love tofu in hot korean soup. The only thing that's missing? Egg. It would be great if an egg was added. :)


The last to arrive was the Chilli Chicken Karaage. This was also pretty good. Crispy and addictive. But by now, we were stuffed and only manage to finish half of it. The rest was packed for our lunch tomorrow.

1 more week and I'm flying!!
I'm a happy girl, in a happy world! :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment