Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Hotplate Tofu (2nd attempt)

Day 183

I decided to cook Hotplate Tofu (铁板豆腐) today as I had a craving for egg tofu again. I love to eat tofu. I can still remember the delicious tofu that I always order at the 555 菜饭摊 (our fave lunch venue). Simple steamed tofu but so so delicious. Yum!

I tried to improve on my last attempt. Made some changes but it was still not successful. 2nd attempt failed.

What went wrong?
1) Egg Tofu
I tried to coat the egg tofu with corn flour before I deep frying them. This proves to be a disaster! The good thing is, the tofu did not splatter at all but the flour was thick and starchy and the egg tofu was tasteless. Is it because there was too much corn flour? I'm not sure, there are some recipes which shows the egg tofu being dusted with corn flour before deep frying but there are also some that did away with the corn flour. Hmm....I guess I will go without corn flour the next time.

2) Sauce
There was too much sauce the last time and I made sure I stirred in more corn starch mixture tonight and guess what, there was too little tonight! Damn!

What went right?
1) Changes to ingredients
Less minced pork, 
Added some prawn, 
Added mixed vegetables, 
Addded cut chilli!
It tasted better with the chilli, more kick! Shiok..

2) Smoking hot saucepan
I made sure the pan is smoking hot, literally, before adding in the egg. Success!


It certainly looks nicer than my first attempt but it fared worse in the taste test as the corn flour totally destroyed the egg tofu. Hopefully, three is the magic number!


明天就是除夕了,即兴奋,又有点失落。。
兴奋,因为要过年了!
失落,因为想家,想念大家。。
虽然人不在,但我的红包在!哈哈。。希望能代表我的心。。。

1 comment:

  1. 不兴奋,没有新年气氛。。。 不象过年。。。 一个人吃饭很寂寞。。。

    ReplyDelete