Friday, October 28, 2011

Eat Out - Taiwan Cafe

Day 452

The weather was glorious this afternoon and all was well until it was time to me to meet Mr Tan for dinner. It started to rain and I hate rainy days, especially when I have to take the tram. The windows are slammed shut and with everyone getting onto the tram to avoid the rain, it's stuffy, smelly and crowded on the tram. But I can't complain actually because I'm the one who didn't want to buy a car. 

Tonight's dinner was at the new Taiwan Cafe. It's probably the only Taiwan Cafe in Melbourne and since it opened its doors a few weeks back, it has been packed and there's always a queue at its door. We don't usually visit such places because Mr Tan doesn't like to wait and when it's so packed, you are barely 10cm away from the other diners which makes it really uncomfortable but this time round, he's willing to wait and squeeze because he's craving for its 台湾炸鸡排!

We waited for about 15 minutes before we got a table and the distance between our table and the tables beside us is no more than 5cm. It was ridiculously cramped and noisy in the cafe but anything for 炸鸡排!

Tonight's Menu
炸鸡排
仔面线
红油炒手

炸鸡排, 炸鸡排, 炸鸡排! The one thing that has been on Mr Tan's mind for the last few weeks. It was crispy, flavourful and juicy but it costs $7.50, kinda expensive for a piece of 炸鸡排 so I'm going to try cooking it at home! Mr Tan was expecting it to be crispier and spicier so he was a little disappointed with it. Now, who's the picky eater?

 
There was a huge chunk of starch in the 蚝仔面线 which was kinda yucky but other than that, I found the taste to be very similar to the ones that we have in SG, which to me, is delicious! Mr Tan loves it to bits and he finished every bit of it. 4 thumbs up! 

The most disappointing dish was the 红油炒手. There was hardly any trace of vinegar or chilli oil in the dish and the worst part, it was SWEET and DRY!!! The wanton skin was sweet and it tasted horrible. Yuckssssssss!! The WORST I've ever had!!!

How can the meal be complele without Taiwanese bubble tea? Thankfully we didn't order any at the Cafe as it was crap. The guy sitting at the next table actually told the staff that his bubble tea was bland like water and the staff was stumped. They went, "err, erm..maybe we can add some sugar to it." Sugar? Seriously? It's bubble tea, not bubble syrup! Wrong answer! We went Chatime for our bubble tea fix instead. I miss Utopia and Koi!!

1 comment:

  1. my guess is that you didn't like it. am i right? I haven't tried the place yet, but it didn't faze me

    ReplyDelete