Monday, June 13, 2011

Eat Out - Ming Xuong

Day 313
11 June 2011


As usual, everything started off late on Saturday. Went to QV market, with the aim of buying some cheap UGG boots but ended up empty-handed. There are quite a number of stalls selling them and they are cheaper of course, but the workmanship leaves much to be desired. Should I pay more to buy the so-called real UGG? Or should I just make do with the cheaper UGG boots made by others? *dilemma*

Anyway, we only had lunch at around 3pm at Dessert House. Has been ages since we had 椒盐鸡 and 虾酱鸡. It's really yummy. I finished all the chicken but barely touched the rice. If only I can cook them myself, I would have them everyday! But then, my diet plan would fail miserably. (Has been almost 1 1/2 months since I started to limit my calories and stop snacking but I doubt if I lose any weight. Hasn't been doing my jumping jacks for a while, instead, has been doing lots of walking)

We were really really full after lunch and almost didn't want to have dinner but the thought of snacking in the middle of the night made me think twice. Better to eat early so that there's more time to burn the calories.

Minh Xuong - a Chinese restaurant we walked past when we were in Richmond last week and saw that the roasted ducks look really good. There's another Minh Xuong on Russell though I'm not sure if they are related. We decided to try it out, although we usually go to Pacific for our roasted duck fix even if it's a tad too salty. Because we were there at 9, the place was almost empty. 1 of the staff was exceptionally nice, he was the first to spot that we are ready to order and when he heard my chopstick dropped, he immediately came over with a new pair. And he did all these with a smile. 4 thumbs up!


I had the roasted duck and char siew on rice,  Mr Tan had fried egg noodles with shredded pork and we shared a hot and sour soup. The skin of the roasted duck wasn't crispy like the ones at Pacific but the meat was tender and the best part, it wasn't salty. If the skin was crispy, it would be perfect! The char siew lacked the charred flavour and something is lacking in its sauce, it was sweet but not the usual char siew sweet taste. The serving for the char siew was very generous and I only managed to finish half of it and packed the rest for tomorrow's lunch.


Mr Tan's fried noodles wasn't what he thought it was going to be. He thought it was going to be stir-fried noodles but it was really fried noodles. The noodles was crispy and itr reminded me of the 生面 back home. He didn't like it as he found the taste of the bean sprouts overwhelming. I quite like it though, found the sauce to be flavourful and especially like the crispy noodles! 


The most disappointing dish of the night was the hot and sour soup. It tasted more like sweet and sour soup. This has to be the worst rendition we've ever had. We asked for some chilli oil and added it to the soup but it didn't manage to add any spiciness and we gave up on it.

For now, Pacific is still the preferred choice.

Minh Xuong on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment