Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eat Out - Gami (Korean Fried Chicken)

Day 271
30 April 2011

Been wanting to try Gami's fried chicken for quite some time after reading about it on Urbanspoon. Its crispy fried chicken is really popular with many raving about it and it's really nice to go with beer. I don't drink and Mr Tan said it's lonely and sad to drink alone so he ordered Coke instead. No coke for me as I'm on a diet!

We got there around 7 and there was no lack of diners. After we got seated, there was a constant steam of people coming in. It's a small restaurant and needless to say, everyone was having its crispy fried chicken! We ordered rice cake, pancake and the crispy fried chicken in 2 flavours, sweet chilli and original.


I'm not a huge fan of rice cake and didn't like it after trying it in Korea but the rice cake at Obaltan totally blew me away. The sauce was so delicious that I just couldn't stop. There were 2 rice cake dishes at Gami, fried rice cake and stir-fried rice cake, and I think I ordered the wrong one. The one that I'm craving for is Tteokbokki ($12) which is a bigger serve with vegetables and fish cake but I ordered the fried rice cakes ($5) thinking that they are the same thing, but this is just rice cakes and a smaller serve. My fault for not reading the menu carefully. Fried rice cakes means they are fried, not stir-fried! Sigh. Wrong dish. Will get more people to dine with us the next time we visit so that I can try its Tteokbokki!


The seafood pancake ($12) was too oily and there wasn't much seafood in it. The excess oil made the pancake a little soggy and we ended up picking the few pieces of seafood that we could find to eat. Definitely not something we would order again.

 

The serving of the chicken ($30) was HUGE. It was impossible to finish it. Since we ordered the half-half, I "attacked" the ones tossed in sweet chilli sauce while Mr Tan "attacked" the original ones. Mr Tan didn't like it as he found the batter too thick and hard. It wasn't crispy but hard and the batter was rather bland. KFC is still the preferred choice for him. I like the sweet chilli sauce and it's amazing how the chicken pieces are still so crunchy despite being coated with the sauce. Yum! Fried chicken is just irresistible!

Gami on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. the chicken looks like it has been in way too much oil.
    for a good place to eat that doesn't do damage to your diet you should try purple peanuts. Its on the corner of Spencer and Collins st across the road from the Southern Cross station.
    Their food has no msg and they do some amazing vegetarian dishes. Check my post for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have heard good reviews about purple peanuts, will definitely drop by. Thanks for the info! :)

    ReplyDelete