Saturday, April 9, 2011

Eat Out - Chef Lagenda

Day 250


After last night's unsatisfying dinner @ Chillipadi Mamak, I decided to pick tonight's dinner venue from the Top 10 Best Malaysian Restaurants List on Urbanspoon. And the lucky restaurant is.......(drum rolls) our Number 10 Resturant - Chef Lagenda!

It was a cold and rainy night but nothing is gonna stop me from my Char Kway Teow! Chef Lagenda is a couple of doors away from Laksa King (the Number 1 restaurant on the list) and some have found the food here to be better than that of Laksa King. Even though we got there after 8, both restaurants were still packed. There was a 15 min wait for a table and while we waited, I made good use of the time. I examined every item on the menu and made my choices.

We were seated outdoors and it was pretty cold out there. Wanted to change seats but there weren't any available. I was really praying hard that the food will make the wait and the cold worthwhile. Once our orders were taken, we didn't have to wait long for the food to arrive.
Mr Tan's selection: 咸菜炖鸭汤 ($6.50) and Seafood Fried Crispy Noodles ($13.20)


The 咸菜炖鸭汤 was delicous. I would never be able to cook something like that at home. It's a combination of 2 of his fave food and needless to say, he finished it to the very last drop.


The Seafood Fried Crispy Noodles was a little disappointing. He was clearly expecting the noodles to be crispy, something like the "Sheng Mein" that we have back home but the noodles were not crispy but soggy. I doubt they were even fried in the first place. Noodles aside, there was a good variety of seafood for the dish. Prawns, scallops, squid and fish fillets. Mr Tan commented that the scallops were really fresh and the prawns were crunchy. Despite that, he won't be ordering it again because of the soggy noodles.

My selection: Lagenda's Meal Deal ($9.50) and Char Kway Teow ($10.20)! I know we'll never be able to finish that much food but I really wanted to eat Char Kway Teow!! Will pack the leftover for tomorrow's lunch...


I chose Roasted Chicken and Steamed Chicken, Rice and Laksa soup for the Meal Deal and I love the laksa soup! The chicken might not look good but they taste pretty good, especially the steamed chicken. The roasted chicken was a little dry but the steamed chicken was really tender. The chicken rice was somewhat a letdown. It was too dry and seemed like they didn't add in enough chicken, garlic and ginger into the cooking of the rice, it didn't have much flavour to it. But I love the laksa soup, it was perfect for a cold night. 


The Char Kway Teow was way better than the one from Chillipadi Mamak, at least it wasn't salty. But I would still prefer my Char Kway Teow to be a little sweeter and moist. It was more like 干炒河粉 and not 炒粿條. The serving was huge with a generous amount of fish cake, prawns, Chinese sausage and bean sprouts but there was no pork lard and cockles. I miss SG's char kway teow! 

Conclusion: There is a reason why some restaurants are always packed, the food is really better although it is not always true that all packed or popular restaurants serve better food. Would love to visit Laksa King soon to see if it lives up to its name of being the Number 1 Malaysian Restarant in Victoria.

Chef Lagenda on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment