Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dinner for 2 @ Shou Sumiyaki

Day 247
Event occured 3 nights ago...

Day 244 - 3 April 2011

1st Wedding Anniversary
Dinner for 2 @ Shou Sumiyaki

 

Searched Urbanspoon for nice Jap restaurants to eat. My first choice was Maedaya but it was closed on Sunday! Seems like many restaurants are closed on Sundays which is so weird. Where we came from, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are the best days for cash registers! It was narrowed down to 3 choices, Buffet @ YAR, Shou Sumiyaki or Shoya. Mr Tan has been to Shoya a couple of times with Sabrina and it serves wonderful sashimi but because I don't take sashimi, we decided to try Shou Sumiyaki as I was drooling over the pics of Yakitori they had on their website. 

There was no one at the door to greet us when we stepped in and although we had called earlier to book a table for 2, there wasn't any table ready for us. Not a very promising start but luckily, we were in a good mood. It was full even on a Sunday night and the staff were really busy. I was flipping through the food menu and didn't see any Yakitori, hmmm....shall wait and ask the waitress later.

We finally got our table after 20 minutes and by now, we were starving. I asked the waitress if they serve Yakitori and was so disappointed when she said no. Boohoohoo~ We decided to go for their Set Dinner to try their famous Charcoal BBQ. There's no vegetables in the set other than mushrooms so I ordered a Kani Tempura Salad to satisfy my need for vegetables.


The salmon sashimi arrived and for the first time in my life, I had a piece of raw fish! There wasn't any fishy smell to it and there isn't much fish taste either. I even asked Mr Tan if this is because the fish is fresh or should I actually taste some fish? Good start!


The next dish is my favourite for the night. The Kani Tempura Salad was OISHII!!!! The soft shelled crab so fried to perfection, it was crispy and the crab meat was firm. They were very generous with the salad dressing and I love it to bits. Super yummy. I'm craving for it right now! Mr Tan had the beef salad but he found the dressing a little too much. 


Next was Miso Soup, Prawn Gyoza and Korokke. The Prawn Gyoza was something we never had before but it tasted fine though I wouldn't order it the next time we dine there. I love the Korokke, crispy and crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside. Yummmmmmm. The Miso Soup was very good too. All the dishes we had so far are pretty heavy with the dressing and strong in taste and the Miso Soup was a good break from them. 

 
 
 
 
 

Finally, it was time to BBQ! The staff would explain how to cook each dish and they were always smiling. Mr Tan commented the marbled wagyu was totemo oishii! I don't take beef so he had all the beef to himself and after a while, it was a little too much but he still finished everything. Other than the beef, we also had 2 King Prawns, mushrooms and Kurobuta Pork Belly.


After all the meat, we had to have some dessert. We ordered a platter with green tea ice cream, sakura jelly, red beans and mochi! It was a very satisfying meal and we'll definitely be returning!

Shou Sumiyaki on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment