Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Mayonnaise Prawns (沙律虾球)

Day 210


沙律虾球 is one of my fave dishes.  Mama always orders it when we dine at Crystal Jade and it cost almost $20 for 8 -10 pieces and I can finish the entire plate by myself! But usually it is for sharing so I only get to eat 1 or 2 pieces and it always leaves me craving for more. I didn't manage to find many recipes on the Internet for this dish but found many recipes for Wasabi Mayo Prawns. But it is a good start for my 沙律虾球.

Ingredients
- 15 Tiger King prawns, shelled and devined (I bought the biggest prawns I could find)
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons of corn flour

Sauce
- 150ml of mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
*I omitted milk as Mr Tan is lactose intolerant. Otherwise, add 1 tablespoon of milk

Directions
1. Marinate prawns with soy sauce, pepper, sesame oil and Shaoxing wine and refrigerate it for at least 1/2 hour
2. Dip the prawns in egg white and coat each of them evenly with corn flour
3. Heat the oil in a wok and fry them until crispy
4. Combine the sauce together in a bowl
5. Heat a frying pan till it is very hot
6. Bring the pan to the sink and pour in the sauce (the sauce will splatter and I didn't want to dirty my stove)
7. Toss the deep-fried prawns into the pan and coat them evenly with the sauce


The photos do not do the dish any justice. I'm still using my iPhone camera as I haven't bought the memory card for Bro's Panasonic camera. Somehow, the memory card that I have isn't compatible with it. The Mayonnaise Prawns are so so yummy! I packed 5 for Mr Tan's lunch and saved the remaining 10 for our dinner. Mr Tan took 4 while I ate 6. I was really full but I just couldn't resist them. "Sibei Hochiak!"

3 comments:

  1. i wanna eat tis... but deep frying in my apt is no good and i don have a pot to deep fry things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I didn't really deep fry, i poured oil into my wok and fried the prawns both sides till they are crispy. I don't want to waste my oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh... but... i suppose to be watching my diet... no cooking of oily food at home... hah... cos go out eat too much...

    ReplyDelete