Saturday, March 19, 2011

Eat Out - Sakura Kaiten Sushi (Japanese)

Day 229

It has been weeks since we last met Shenton as Jiaqi is away in Malaysia and Singapore, enjoying herself! Tonnes of good food, plenty of shopping and of course, the comfort of home. I'm envious! Perhaps I should keep a lookout for cheap air tix and fly back more often since I have nothing to do here anyway. While Jiaqi is enjoying herself in MY and SG, Shenton is having a GREAT time here too. Drinking, drinking and more drinking. Haha.


We met at Sakura Kaiten Sushi for dinner. A small and cosy space that could only seat 20 - 30 people. We were seated at the sushi bar and I think we must be the loudest people in the restaurant. We, as in Jasmine and me. I bet the people sitting opposite us and next to us heard every bit of our conversation. Haha. I must say, this is the best service that we have encountered so far. The staff were always smiling and prompt in refilling our tea and taking our orders. I think all of them are Japanese and I really really like their service. I will go back just because of that. :)

There isn't much choice on the menu, no Tempura, no Ramen, no Okonomiyaki, no Sukiyaki, the focus here is really about the sushi. But there wasn't a huge variety of sushi either and even lesser for someone like me who doesn't eat raw food. Plates are colour coded to indicate the different prices, $3.60, $4.60, $5.80 and $6.80. $3.60 per 2 pieces of sushi is definitely expensive and that's probably why they don't have the cheaper stuff such as Inarizushi, Hotate sushi, Kani sushi, Tamago sushi etc. There were lots of salmon and tuna though.

 
 
 

I can't remember what we tried but there were some hits and misses. According to Mr Tan, Jasmine and Shenton, the fish were all fresh and tasted good, nothing exceptional except the Salmon & Caviar sushi. The Caviar was delicious and "exploded" in our mouths. The other positive ones include, Karaage, Potato Corokke and Breaded Scallops. The hot dishes were all pretty good. The Potato Corokke was so crispy on the outside, yum!

 
 

I had the Organic Cold Soba with Teriyaki Chicken. The soba was good but the teriyaki chicken was a little too sweet for my liking. The prawn dumplings were the greatest disappointment for the night. I'm not sure what the filling was, but it tasted like some mashed fish meat, I couldn't find any prawns! The dumpling was totally unappetising. The tempura shrimp roll was also rather disappointing. The shrimp was cold and soggy, perhaps because it was left on the belt for too long. I think I ate more fried food than sushi and I wasn't really full at the end of the meal but luckily, there was black sesame and green tea ice cream to fill in the gaps.

The four of us spent a total of $147 for dinner and it is rather expensive for mainly sushi. It is a really nice place with wonderful service but as someone who loves variety, I wouldn't be in a rush to go back though I really like the place. 

Sakura Kaiten Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment