Sunday, March 6, 2011

Eat Out - Es Teler 77 (Indonesian)

Day 215

Wanted to go Zam Zam for some Indian food tonight but it was closed by the time we reached. :( They serve dinner but their closing time is 8pm. Kinda early for a place that serves dinner right? The temperature has dropped quite a bit again and it was getting cold. I decided to warm ourselves up with some hot sambal chilli! Sabrina brought us to this Indonesian restaurant a long time ago and their sambal chilli is fiery! Really really good sambal chilli.


Most of the diners are young Asians, mostly Indonesians or Malays (it is a halal rest) and we were probably the oldest ones there. I wanted to try its Ikan Belado - deep fried snapper with spicy Indonesian chilli sauce and Nasi Goreng Seafood while Mr Tan decided to have Ayam Soto. It is becoming a habit for me to order grilled/deep fried fish at Indonesian restaurants because it's impossible for me to cook these at home with my limited skills.


After walking in the cold for the past 10 minutes, it felt so good to have Soto Ayam ($6.50). It is a small serving, meant more as an entree rather than a main. Nonetheless, it was good. I prefer this than the one served at Blok M. We finished the whole bowl of Soto Ayam. Bagus!


The Nasi Goreng Seafood ($9.50?) is insanely huge. It is enough to feed me for at least 2 meals. I only managed to finish 1/3 of it and I was already full. The sambal chilli goes so well with the nasi goreng. Totally love the chilli! We packed the rest of the rice and the sambal chilli for Mr Tan's lunch as I didn't want to waste it.


They have 4 sizes for Ikan Belado. Normal, Medium, Large and XLarge. Prices varies according to the size of the fish and we were told that they are only left with the XLarge snapper so it will cost $13.50. My jaws dropped when I saw the fish. If this is XLarge, are they serving ikan bilis for the normal serve? Ridiculous. It was probably fried for too long and the meat was rather hard but we still finished the entire fish. I'm definitely not ordering it again. 

It was a satisfying meal at Es Teler 77 and needless to say, the sambal chilli played a big part. It isn't a fancy place where you have waiters standing near your table helping to clear your plates and refill your water but at least it is clean and there's no need to share tables with others. I'll be returning to try its other dishes and I'm sure Mr Tan will love to try the Ayam Goreng that is a hot fave at Es Teler.


Es Teler 77 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment