Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gin's Kitchen - Teriyaki Chicken

Day 282

It has been a while since I last posted any recipe on my blog. The last recipe I posted was in March and the month of April was a very exciting one for me as Papa and Mama Goh came over to visit and we went to Gold Coast during the Easter Break. I'm still cooking dinner every weekday, I'm not lazing around ok? It's just that I haven't been trying out new dishes, I've been practicing on the ones that I've tried to perfect them! :P

Teriyaki Chicken is one of my fave Japanese dish and it seems like this sauce is really easy to make BUT I didn't make it. Haha. I need mirin and ginger juice to make the sauce and chances are, I will only cook this once in a while. The solution? Buy ready made sauce! I tried Kikkoman and found it too watery and salty. I prefer something thicker and probably sweeter. So I bought a bottle of Teriyaki Marinade from MasterFoods and I'm quite pleased with it. I searched high and low on the net and seems like Kikkoman is the preferred choice for many. There's another brand, Yoshida which seems to be getting positive reviews too. Will keep a lookout for it. If all else fails, I will buy mirin and ginger juice to make my own. I believe I can do it! Haha.

Ingredients
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 6 tablespoons of MasterFoods Teriyaki Marinade
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of oil

Directions
1. Debone the drumsticks
2. Place meat into a transparent plastic bag, add sugar and Teriyaki Marinade and mix well
3. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight
4. Heat oil in pan
5. Remove meat from plastic bag and pan fry the meat (skin side first) on low heat (caution: the marinade will be flying everywhere! so take cover or cover the pan with its lid)
6. Fry both sides until it is browned. Add in the remaining marinade in the plastic bag into the pan and take cover!
7. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and the meat is cooked


I love my meat with more sauce and added extra tablespoons of marinade and water while simmering it. I prefer the sauce to be sweeter and thus added sugar. Saw a recipe that used brown sugar instead of white sugar, will try adding that the next time! It's not as good as the ones served in Japanese restaurants, will probably buy mirin and ginger juice after I finish this bottle of MasterFoods. :)

1 comment:

  1. brown sugar is less sweet compared to white one, probably only add colour to the food...looks good... i am trying to go on diet, mb i will only cook soup fr now on...sigh... too much fats, i cant get rid of them... sianzzzz...

    ReplyDelete